9 May 2014

VIDEO VERDICT - EXO - OVERDOSE 중독



The 12-man Korean Pop group EXO has finally released their most recent music video 'Overdose' and boy am I overdosed!! With over six million views of both their music videos (Exo-M who promote in Mandarin + Exo-K who promote in Korean) released on the 6th May, this break-out band is on a steady roll.

I had been anticipating the new music video ever since I saw the images showcasing their new looks for promoting their new mini album, and I can honestly say I am not one bit disappointed with the outcome !

It's vibrant, energetic and makes me want to dance!! Let me break-it-down textually about why I love it when these guys break-it-down physically!!



If you still haven't seen this finger-clicking, body-popping video, check it out down here 



Let us start with what should matter most. The MUSIC!! The intro is super-cool with a clicky-robotic yet hip-hop-esque feel to it, which helps build some dramatic momentum. The music for the bridge parts have a techno flair which builds really well into the chorus. Now the chorus!! It's so catchy, so so catchy. Of course they threw in a little 'Konglish' (Korean English), which is always hilarious. The song altogether, is pretty repetitive as hip-hop style songs tend to be. And K-Pop songs have like sixteen billion different styles and parts incorporated in one song, so I was definitely entertained through-out as I knew that a new beat would start in the next 40 seconds or so. And the rap, you can always count on Chanyeol to deliver and deep and manly rap that just looks so effortlessly cool when executed by the 'vitamin' himself. Gosh my heart just starts racing at the thought of the awesome-army-like-choreographed dance moves. Yes, as you can see, this blogpost will be filled with multi-hyphenated descriptions, haha! 



Oh! What's this? Pandora's box?! Why is D.O staring so earnestly at it? Is this why they're overdosed?! Argh my mind!! I can't.....I just can't.


Oh, it's just a box filled with sand..

Oh look, there's Lay, just laying down, get it? Lay, laying down......... it sounded better in my head. 


This sleek and seductive get-up really works in Lay's favour, he just has this subtle sensuality that doesn't need to be forced or exaggerated. And the new fringy-cut really aids in giving his face that coveted 'V-Line' that many guys long for.


But wait!! What's this?! Lay is made out of sand? The re-incarnation of sandman? OMO! Looks like you'll be seeing him in your dreams. 


So I'm guessing that D.O had Lay inside the box and suddenly decided to release him? I'm sure you're just as confused as I am as to why this is happening.


Can we just take a second to focus on Tao's new look. This haircut is really working for him, if I must say so myself. The short cut has given his face more definition and he looks altogether more manly. They have finally found the right cut. Hallelujah!!

 LuHan on the other hand.....oh poor LuLu, what have they done? Why does it look like a poodle has given birth on his head? When I first saw the twirly thing atop his head, I was like "OMO! What on earth is that?!? 


However I'm really digging the haircut he rocks in the urban-dance scenes, an undercut-ponytail kind of thing, it really suits him.




Well it looks like these guys are in a maze. Oh I see what you did there SM! You know, their logo is now a maze, they're now inside a maze. This whole 'maze' thing paints a mental image of being lost and trapped, which I assume is how one would feel when they're 'overdosed' on love. The 'girl' has caught them and they can't get out!!

 

It looks like they're finally breaking in to the core of the maze, after excessive frustration and despair the leader of the group, SuHo takes it upon himself to hit this hexagonal-holographic wall and finally commence the mental battle!!
So SuHo's blonde-middle parting is definitely giving me some Backstreet Boys Nick Carter vibes. Remember in the 90's when this hairstyle was really in? I don't know what to think of these flaxen curtains. The 90's want you back? 




But what is this? Exo-K in this insane diamond-cheerleader-like structure. It's pretty cool I guess. Those who don't know, in K-Pop there can be some pretty intense, inventive and military-like-choreographed dances. So if you didn't already get that from the video, I'm just letting you know, haha.


And we're in the infamous SM dance box once more! I'm not complaining, I think that it's easier to focus on the Exo-M guys doing their thang when they're in a box, I mean, if you can stop yourself from getting distracted by all the pulsing lights in the background. But the box itself, is pretty simple, which I like, and the reflective floors give it a very clean and sleek look, so the focus of the shot is the guys and their dancing. Me gusta. Domo choayo. For some reason this is one of my favourite dance moves from this video, I don't know what it is about it, haha. 


But what is this!! These guys seem to be going for the American-hip-hop-dancer/ low-profile-thuggish look, but Baekyhun and Kris look like they're wearing Ahjussi's-fishermen-sun-hats!! I almost died of laughter, but I see where they're going with this. 


Here's Chen wearing a snapback and golden-chain, looks like he just got a 1-UP in the gangster game....

With the baggy clothes and heavy timberland boots, a more powerful and aggressive look is given, which totally coincides with the crumping and angular dance-moves they're executing, giving altogether a more manly and dominating feel that the girls (and some guys) are sure to swoon for.


Shake and thrust. Shake and thrust. This feels like some sort of mating call. 


And let's just throw in an awesome crane shot during the rap sequence.

 

Another one of my favourite parts, the 'drumming' of the head, haha. This bit almost made me cry of laughter, but I also found it to be really impressive. Haha, the facial expressions from Chanyeol are priceless. 


And Exo-K are in yet another box! This one however is hexagonal and I think symbolises the heart of the maze. This is where the dance for the chorus is executed, and their outfits are very sleek. They wear black and white suits, with black, white or silver sneakers. And the room reflects this as it's enclosed by walls of silver poles. The floor is black and decorated with this hexagonal pattern, bringing the whole synergy of the album into play. And this weird futuristic-chandelier like structure in the middle makes me feel as though it's some sort of microscope, the female is watching them, they're under her control, hence why the feel powerless and in an overdosed state!! Am I reading too much into it?? Haha!!

To conclude, if I could even begin to conclude these 4 minutes of awesome craziness that is 'Overdose'. I really like where they went with this. I mean the opening was little melodramatic, but at the same time it was quite sleek and cool, which I liked.  The dancing was enthusiastic, and great and there was a clear homage paid to my favourite EXO video to date... Growl, so this video comes at a close second. The beat just makes me want to shimmy and shake and crump and clown! I don't even know what to say anymore, I am lost for words. I'm just going to leave you with a few gifs of the guys in action.



You can just feel Kai's energy pulsing out of his body with this, hence why he's one of the main dancers.


Can you say 귀여워요 ?!?!


Gymnast Tao has to throw in a few of his moves, obviously.


Make way for the almighty SeHun!!

And that's a wrap. Now I'm just going to watch the video and play the song another 1,000,000 times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment