17 Apr 2014

MY SOUTH KOREAN OBSESSION

I've come to the realisation that I should probably start writing about K-Drama's and K-Movies. For those who don't know, the 'K' stands for Korea. And the Korea we're talking about here is South Korea.

I don't really know exactly when this fascination/interest-turn-obsession started but I'd like to say it was around mid-march of last year, where I decided to emerge myself in the Korean Pop Culture. So to many I'd be viewed as a novice, lol, the 'rookie'. But the status doesn't cap-size my adoration for the Pop Culture of South Korea.

I was actually introduced to K-Pop quite a while ago, by my awesome older cousin, but didn't really show much interest in it. Like the unimpressed and naive pre-teen I was, I would usually respectfully participate in other people's interests/hobbies, but never be committed enough to actually develop more of an interest, as I supposedly thought that everything I enjoyed was far more interesting than what my friend/family member etc, enjoyed. Anyway, enough about 12 year old MJ.


My 'obsession' as my little brother prefers to refer to it as, has grown to the point that I don't watch any American Drama's anymore. I mean, once you get hooked into the typical Korean storylines, and the quality of the acting and just the whole composition, of how everything comes together to make this piece of artwork.....it's kinda hard to go back.

It started off with dramas like Rooftop Prince, Coffee Prince, Goong, Boys Over Flowers and I Can Hear Your Voice, and now I can't spend a day without watching some form of Korean entertainment....with websites and apps like VIKI, DramaFever and Dramago, being a mouse-click or touch-screen-tap away, it just makes being obsessed with K-Dramas and Movies that much easier.


The promotional poster and main image used to promote 'Rooftop Prince' (옥탑방 왕세자)


The main cast for Coffee Prince (커피프린스 1호점), well most of the main cast...


Main cast of Goong ()


Main cast of Boys Over Flowers (꽃보다 남자)


Main cast of I Can Hear Your Voice (너의 목소리가 들려)


The main appeal of Korean Dramas for me? It would have to be the emotion. I was after-all voted as the Drama Queen/King in my school yearbook, and have been acting in plays for most of my life. So I could say I'm a sucker for melodrama, lol. But I don't know what it is? Is it something in the air over there? Or simply just the demeanour and understanding of emotions in that society? Whatever it is, it caught me! Lol, I'm hooked. My current faves would have to be, Melody of Love & Angel Eyes. Oh and some that have finished recently would have to be You Who Came From The Stars & Emergency Couple. Oh K-Dramas....*sighs*.

Let us move onto entertainment TV, Variety shows for example! Variety shows seem to be a big thing over there. I mean I knew variety shows could be popular in Asia since I'd been an avid watcher of the Japanese Takeshi's Castle. But they're also pretty popular in South Korea. My current favourite would have to be 1박 2 or 2 Days, 1 Night. A close second being Running Man (런닝맨).....ah I don't know there are quite a few to choose from. But boy are these shows hilarious..... I mean the things the contenders/ members of the cast get up to. The cast is usually made-up of well known celebrities that operate in the Korean Entertainment industry so this can be: Comedians, Actors, Rappers, K-Pop stars, Athletes even CEO's of companies loool. And these 'celebs' are challenged to complete different, varied, sometimes ridiculous and almost-impossible challenges which makes it that much funnier, lol. I laugh at least a gajillion times every episode.

I could go on to write about K-Pop but that's a whole other post. Oh let me list a few Korean Movies off the top of my head, My Sassy Girl, 100 Days with Mr Arrogant, Seducing Mr Perfect.....oh oh, what else? My Tutor Friend, oh there's too many, I can't remember right now lol.....wait...Miracle in Cell No.7.....and there's many more, from laugh-out-loud comedies, to tear-jerking melodramas, there's something for everyone haha.....totally feel like I'm promoting....well I kinda am haha.

Anyways, expect many more Korean Pop Culture - related posts from me, lol.