20 Apr 2014

SKINCARE SNIPPET - MALE KOREAN SKINCARE ROUTINE


Those who are close to me know that I have an obsession with the South Korean Pop Culture, and those who aren't can probably tell anyway, since I take every opportunity I can to express my devotion to the almighty Hallyu!!

Like any other teen going through puberty (and in many cases, fully fledged adults)...... there's something we all fear and dislike....and that's BAD SKIN. Let's be honest here, the whole 'self-conscious about our skin' thing is definitely pushed and emphasised due to cosmetics and skincare companies, and the 'general' view of beauty within our modern society.

There are many teens and just people in general who couldn't care any less about their skincare, so my deductions could be borderline subjective due to the fact that I am a teenager, but anyway, back to Korean Skincare!!


Lol, my post title may be a little misleading, because I don't use any specific male-targeted skin care products, simply because most of the male products I've used in the past have that awful alcohol/ aftershave scent, that I dislike.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture on my Instagram of a Korean Skincare Splurge.

I started to develop an interest in Skincare before my face even sprouted any pimples, and this was probably due to my older cousin who was training to be a Beauty Therapist at the time...

A word to the wise.....don't go overboard on your fresh baby skin, because you'll regret it, haha.
So here's my Skincare routine, for anyone who is seemingly interested enough, haha. I would describe my skin as oily-combination, it gets dry in the winter and oily in the summer.

Oh, and let me warn you, for those who are unfamiliar with the South Korean skin care culture and regimen....Skincare in Korea seems to be pretty huge from my perspective at least. Regimens usually consist of about 6-11 different steps depending on the condition of the persons' skin of-course. This isn't to say that all South Korean's have perfect skin, I'm simply emphasising the fact that Skincare is a big thing there, and that many products in my experience are much better than the ones we have here in the UK, and much cheaper too...

Well.....here goes, folks.




1. SKIN FOOD'S FRESH APPLE PORE CLEANSING OIL


Cleansing oils are used to rid your skin of any excess dirt, sebum and dead skin cells, as well as unclogging pores before using a cleansing wash. Following Suzy Bae (from Miss A) someone who is known for her countless skincare commercials, I use this every single day. 

1. All you need to do is pump a small amount onto your finger tips, and massage the cleansing oil onto your dry face for four minutes until the oil becomes a milky white colour, ensuring that you target the areas where you have visibly bigger pores, for example in my case it's my nose. 

2. You then, using warm water, wash the cleansing oil off of your face. 

3. Since this is an oil, you will have to cleanse at least twice afterwards to ensure that the excess oils do not remain on the skin.

This particular cleansing oil, as the name implies, contains fresh apple, but specifically fresh unripe green apple extracts which have a bitter flavour that tightens and decreases the size of your pores.

MJ's Evaluation: I really like the feel of the oil when I massage it onto my face as it's very lightweight and doesn't feel groggy and sticky. The fresh apple scent also psychologically makes me feel as though the product is really cleansing my face as it's quite sharp and clean. After rinsing my face my skin feels super soft as it's absorbed some of the oil. It's also great at tightening your puffy morning face as the massage awakens the skin.




2.  CLEAN & CLEAR'S OIL-FREE ADVANTAGE CLEAR & SOOTHE FOAMING WASH 
+
NEUTROGENA'S TANGERINE & LIME VISIBLY CLEAR PORE & SHINE DAILY WASH


I don't use a Korean skin cleanser, simply because I didn't find the need to purchase one when I still have some cleansers to go through. So I use these in alternation. 

Cleansers are great at lifting any dirt left over that the oils haven't succeeded in lifting, whilst also ensuring that the excess oils from the cleansing oil has been removed. 

The citrus in both tangerines and limes are known to remove dead skin cells. Lime also contains natural antibiotic properties. Tangerine is said to increase circulation.

1. After using a cleansing oil, pump an ample amount of the cleanser onto your finger tips.

2. Massage the cleanser in circular onto your skin ensuring that you target the T-zone area (your nose and forehead), as these are generally the areas that produce the most oil and sebum.

3. Make sure to also cleanse the other areas of your face gently but target areas that may have larger pores, or acne etc. 

4. Rinse off the cleanser and tap your face dry lightly with a face towel.

MJ's Evaluation: I really like the foaming cleanser because it's very light and great for sensitive skin, and I'd usually use this in the morning. It's oil-free so I don't have to worry about adding any more unnecessary oils to my already oil infused face, haha. 
The Neutrogena cleanser has a great scent to it which instantly revitalises me, but for some reason I don't really like the feel of the cleanser on my face once it has turned into a foam. After using the cleanser my skin feels stripped of its natural oils which I dislike. 





3. SKIN FOOD'S WHITE RICE FACE MASK WASH OFF SCRUB


Facial scrubs are great at removing dirt from deep pores and unifying the texture of the skin. By lightly abrading the skin you can give your skin a smoother texture which altogether helps in giving your face a more clear and youthful look.

1. After cleansing massage an ample amount onto your face, focusing on your nose. I usually massage my nose first and then work the scrub out onto my forehead, cheeks and the rest of my face.

2. Make sure to avoid the eye and mouth areas as these parts of the face are a little sensitive, and even though it's made with rice, I don't advise you to apply it onto your lips because I'm sure you'll taste it once you do. And you don't want to taste it....trust me.

3. As it's also a mask as well as a scrub, you should let it sit on your face for about 10 to 15 minutes, ensuring your skin soaks up all the moisture.


MJ's Evaluation: I really like this scrub, first of all the grains are minuscule, so they do a better job at removing impurities in comparison to exfoliating scrubs which have bigger grains that just scratch into your skin. The creamy texture leaves your skin feeling super soft and supple, and brightens the skin. This scrub honestly leaves your skin feeling smoother and more supple than a baby's bottom. My skin is definitely at it's softest after using this scrub, and that's why it's one of my favourite SKIN FOOD products. 



4. ETUDE HOUSE'S SKIN SMOOTHER 
+
 MISSHA'S SUPER AQUA CELL RENEW SNAIL SKIN TREATMENT


Toners are great for wiping off any left over dirt that your cleanser haven't whilst adding some much needed moisture. They're known for containing ingredients that soothe the skin. There are various types of toners, but the two that I switch back and forth from frequently are these babies.

1. After drying your face apply an ample amount of your 'toner' to your finger tips.

2. Lightly apply onto your face by tapping the 'toner' onto the skin.

3. Gently massage until all facial areas have been covered.

4. Wait for the skin to absorb the 'toner' before proceeding onto the next step.


MJ's Evaluation: The skin smoother from Etude House, is super lightweight and has a refreshing scent. It is more like your typical toner. After I apply this my skin feels super soft and hydrated.
The cell renewal skin treatment from Missha is made of a gel-like formula with snail slime. The thought of applying snail slime onto your face may sound a bit daunting, but I was all Gung Ho. Snail slime actually has regenerative and healing qualities when applied to the skin. The toner applies on very well as it is a liquid-gel, and it leaves your face with a really nice glowing sheen. I also really like the revitalising effect it has. 




5. MASK SHEETS 



Face mask sheets are all the rage in Asia, especially in South Korea. These thin face sheets are filled with ingredients that have skin-saving properties, whilst also leaving a nice refreshing scent on your skin. They're super cheap (£1-£4) and are available in a range of different skin benefiting ingredients. I apply these after using a toner or skin treatment as it helps to seal everything into the skin. It's advisable to only use a face sheet mask 2-3 times a week.

Depending on the face mask, the time needed for it to fully soak into the skin varies so the following instructions will be general.

1. Remove the mask sheet from inside the pack.

2. Ensure that you've opened the sheet so that the appropriate holes can fit over your eyes, nose and mouth.

3. Apply the sheet to your face and smooth the face mask sheet gently over the skin.

4. Let the face mask sheet sit on your face for about 10-15 minutes.

5. Remove the mask sheet from your face and lightly pat the surplus essence into the skin for easier absorption.

Note: You'll inevitably look like a creepy murderer from a low-budget horror film. Hey, maybe I'll go out with one of these on for Halloween.


MJ's Evaluation: Since this is a general mask sheet evaluation, I'll just evaluate generally, lol.
Mask sheets always make you feel as though you're getting that 5 star spa pamper treatment for some reason, I don't know what it is about these things, but I love them. However the cold feel of the mask once you apply it and the gooey gel-like essence that the sheets are bathed in can sometimes make first-timers feel a little uneasy. "What exactly am I putting on my face?" lol. After I use these masks I do feel a little grossed out because the sticky essence left behind on the skin will take a while to absorb. In spite of that, these masks do leave your skin feeling super smooth and refreshed with a nice sheen left behind from the gooey-gel essence stuff. If you can bare your villian-like reflection when using one of these bad boys, then go for it!!



6. SKIN FOOD'S AVOCADO RICH EMULSION



Emulsions are basically Korea's substitute for moisturisers. From all the excessive cleansing that we've already done, it's essential to replenish our skin by increasing our hydration levels with a lightweight creamy moisturiser. 

Avocado Oil is filled with Vitamin A and is known for hydrating and rejuvenating the skin. I apply this emulsion after using a toner, or a face mask sheet. This gives the skin the overall moisture it needs. 

1. Apply an ample amount of the emulsion into the palm of your hand.

2. Massage the emulsion onto the skin starting from the nose and then smooth out onto other parts of the face.

3. Ensure that you also apply the emulsion onto your neck and upper chest areas, to ensure an even moisturised appearance.

4. Tap the skin lightly so that emulsion is absorbed into the skin. 

MJ's Evaluation: I really like the feel of this emulsion on my skin, as my face feels like it's been dipped in a cool and refreshing waterfall. This emulsion has a nice cooling effect which helps to tighten the face, the smell is also very light and not at all overpowering. However over-application of this product can lead to a sticky icky face. I prefer to apply this in the evenings before I sleep, and I skip this step in the mornings because I feel as though the emulsion takes far too long to sink into the skin.




7. THEFACESHOP'S CHIA SEED WATER CREAM 


Water creams are used after emulsions and moisturisers to seal in the moisture. Chia seeds are said to carry moisture 10 times its one weight.

1. Apply an ample amount onto your fingertips.

2. Spread and massage the cream on your face, starting from your t-zone.

3. Work the cream onto the rest of your face.


MJ's Evaluation: This cream is very hydrating and makes my face feel really refreshed, I can best describe this cream as a vaseline like mayonnaise............that's probably not the best description, but it's what comes to mind. Only a small amount is needed as it spreads on very easily, and absorbs pretty fast too. The scent it gives off is very fresh and light.




8. LANEIGE'S WATER SLEEPING PACK_EX



Sleeping packs are used to give the skin hydration during the night, or just generally when you're asleep (I don't know your sleeping patterns, haha). I only use this water sleeping pack once a week. This specific water pack contains Beta Glucan: skin regeneration effect, Chestnut Extract: improves skin texture,  Ceramide SLN: moisture loss protection, Hunza Apricot Extract: purifies the skin.

1. Use the applicator spade and dab some on your forehead, cheeks, nose-tip and chin areas.

2. Gently smooth the pack over the face and onto the neck.

3. Get your sleep on.....where you can have a sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare........

4. In the morning, wash it off with your cleansing oil and cleanser. And the deadly Korean skincare cycle continues muhahaha.

MJ's Evaluation: This sleeping pack is so refreshing, with its snow water this isn't hard to believe. I feel super calm from the Orange Flower, Ylang Ylang and Sandal Wood etc, scents that are infused in this, supposedly the scents are meant to relax you and ensure that you sleep easier, and boy is it true. The application is super easy and the instructions make this process super fun. The whole design of the container tub is super sleek and fresh. My face in the morning looks less puffy than it usually would and is super smooth.



EXTRA: ETUDE HOUSE'S WONDER PORE BRUSH 
+
MISSHA'S NOSE PORE CLEAR BRUSH


Sometimes you can't rely on your hands to get all the dirt out of your pores so I have entrusted my skin to these little tools.
I use these two tools, other than the occasional cotton wool round pad, when I'm taking a break from my Clarisonic Mia 2.

1. Wet the brush

2. Rub the cleanser into the brush with your fingers until it foams

3. Brush the cleanser onto your face in circular motions. For the nose brush, focus on your nose.

MJ's Evaluation: The face brush is really great at helping to cleanse and massage your face in the morning, the soft bristles gently abrade the skin to ensure that it is really cleansed. 

The nose pore brush really does draw crap out of your nose, whenever I use this the skin on and around my nose feels more taught and smooth. It also feels lighter, I don't know how to describe it, but after using this brush my nose felt super clean. Now you know it's working when it doesn't just look clear but feels clear.


And here's a terrifying picture of my face before I hit the sack.......yes my eyes are that big, lol. No it's not an Apple Webcam Effect.....


AND THAT'S A WRAP.........hmmmm wraps *starts to salivate*

Look forward to SKINCARE SNIPPETS and more HALLYU posts in the future!!!